Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:37:12 -0500
From:
Stephen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Having chewed through all 60+ pages, I can state pretty definitively
that there is nothing in SOX specifically about passwords (and please
someone correct me if I missed it).

What I'd guess is happening is that as part of the procedures for
complying with SOX - which in many cases translate to attestable,
documented and auditable workflows - the IT department has reached the
decision that improved passwords, 6 letter ones in this case, are a
requirement.

Here's the text of the act:

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/gwbush/sarbanesoxley072302.pdf