Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:30:07 -0800
At 03:38 PM 12/21/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I am a new subscriber to the listserv and joined the records management
>industry two years ago as a co-owner in Advantage Records Management &
>Storage.

I appreciate the comments and especially the fact that they're coming from
a member of the potentially impacted industry.

>I am very interested in the proposed NFPA 232 policy changes and have
>decided to send in my own response to the NFPA.  I would recommend anyone
>that is seeking background on NFPA 232 to find the Information Management
>Journal, Nov.Dec 2002, Vol 36, No. 6, "Records Under Fire" by Shanna
>Groves, Published by Arma International.  You can download this as a .pdf
>file for free through ARMA, and it is a very good place to start.

I agree that this article is an EXCELLENT start point, as would a simple
visit to your local records storage vendor, with your risk manager
and  asking a few questions regarding their knowledge of, or compliance
with, the existing NFPA232 and their position on the proposed changes being
submitted by the Committee members, including PRISM, especially if they're
members of the organization.

>Below is a copy of my "submittal" to the NFPA.  I would encourage any and
>all records managers to respond to the NFPA with their own reasons but DO
>respond.  I believe this may be one of those issues that appear harmless
>and insignificant in the beginning, but can have a huge future impact to
>all records centers and record managers once you do your due diligence.

While I also STRONGLY ENCOURAGE others to submit their opinions and make
comment to the NFPA, however, as a member of the NFPA232 Committee, I MUST
ALSO STRONGLY URGE that you use the NFPA Proposal Form, and structure your
comments in accordance with the requirements of the proposal form.  Failure
to do so will impress upon the NFPA your feelings about the issues you are
concerned about, but will not provide comments in a manner in which they
can be balloted and/or voted on.

These comments are not intended IN ANY WAY to throw cold water on the
spirit of those who are passionate about this issue, as I have been QUITE
passionate in my defense of the current Standard for a number of years, and
I greatly appreciate my employer's understanding of the value of my
continuing participation in the efforts to ensure this Standard remains
strong, especially in light of the potential for records belonging to
Government Agencies being stored in commercial records centers.

What these comments ARE intended to do is to ensure anyone submitting
comments take the additional steps to formally submit proposals to support
their opinions and comments in a manner that will directly impact the
Committee by bringing their concerns to the floor for a vote.

>The NFPA can have a dramatic and positive impact simply by maintaining
>NFPA 232 without any changes.

As true as this comment is, we are being told by the NFPA that the failure
to have a vote that represents this position may result in placing the
continued existence of NFPA232 "as-is" in jeopardy based on ANSI
regulations, so once again, I encourage individuals and organizations to
submit formal proposals.

Larry