Sender:
From:
JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:31:56 -0700
Larry, John, John, Sharon, et al,

Larry basically captured the recording process ("exciting the surface"
notwithstanding ;) ) - I would clarify that most manufactured discs today
are not burned, but rather pressed or stamped to create the pits & grooves.

For CD-R media, the information is stored in a dye substrate, the
reflectance of which is changed by the laster to produce light & dark spots
(1s and 0s). For CD-RW and most DVD technologies, the recording substrate is
in a crystalline state which changes properties to an amorphous state when
the laser hits it. Some substrates can only change once (DVD+R, DVD-R, etc.)
which others can be changed repeatedly (DVD+RW, CD-RW, etc.).
Magneto-optical works by heating the recording substrate to the point at
which its magnetic properties change and then encoding the 1 or 0
appropriately.

This is all part of the hopefully soon to be released AIIM TR-41 technical
report on "Optical Disk Storage, Management, and Technology".

Cheers,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, EDP, ICP
IMERGE Consulting