Sender:
From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:22:12 -0500
Maybe you would measure the degree that you censor or suppress
by the degree to which you are unwilling to even consider the
possibility that you do censor or suppress.

For example, a reference enquiry requests materials about
the city public library itself that are definitively public
information like annual reports, budgets, auditors reports,
city consultants' surveys, curatorial reports, et cetera...

You would violate a certain discretion that reference desk services
accord enquiries by requiring a freedom of information request as
Boston Public Library's President Bernie Margolis and BPL Director
R. Kowal do.

If the reference enquiry specifies already the materials that are
legitimately public information then delay or withholding is contrary
to the good principles of intellectual freedom.

Librarians do fail to understand how to differentiate legitimately
public information from all the information about our very same public
institutions including our cities' public libraries.

Librarians do fail to protect the right of access to the public
information archived in our cities' public libraries. It is signal
that the violating of access principles is done routinely even when
our cities' public libraries unions labor relations advocates are the
enquirers.