Sender:
From:
Owen Bevan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:14:05 +0000
Dear List colleagues,

I am looking into the legal admissibility of scanned documents in the U.S. -
something I know the list has discussed before.  A Google search and the
list archives indicate that according to the Federal Rules of Evidence and
the Uniform Rules of Evidence (for those states that have adopted them),
scanned docs are assumed legitimate unless a concern is raised about their
authenticity – so companies should have documented process in place to
“prove” this. Can anyone point me to any document which provides the most
recent update or summary of statute or case law in this area?

This information will apply to a US listed company in the property
management sector, so if anyone has useful information to bear in mind from
this sector (any specific docs that should not be scanned and hence
originals destroyed, property deeds strike me as one such record perhaps?)
or from Sarb-Ox or any interesting insights from their local jurisdiction,
I’d be very grateful for your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Owen Bevan