Sender:
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:05:52 -0800
<<snip>>
2. You do not report income that you should report, and it is more than
25% of the gross income shown on your return; keep records for 6 years.
3. You file a fraudulent income tax return; keep records indefinitely.
4. You do not file a return; keep records indefinitely.
<<snip>>

Does anyone else find this a little more than amusing? Basically the IRS
is asking us to keep records for 3-7 years, except if we are breaking
the law ... then we need to keep them indefinitely!

Nolene Sherman
Records Manager - CJ Segerstrom & Sons

It has been several years since I tried the link. I printed the page out
at that time I was researching and that's what I've been referencing. I
tried just now and the page has apparently has been redone. This new
page has the identical information, but put in bullet rather than table
format: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98513,00.html