Sender:
From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:41:49 -0800
I am attempting to pull our Risk Management department's files into my
file tracking program and to assign series-level retentions to their
documents. The software I use has a four-level hierarchy, which up to
now has worked quite well.

In looking over the "file plan" (a set of Word documents) for this
department, I am bewildered as to any logical organization structure.
Our Risk dept handles our Retirement Plans, Workers Comp, Group
Insurance (Medical, dental, life, etc), Commercial Insurance (property,
auto, etc), Tenant Insurance, and Environmental Issues (our company owns
and leases commercial and retail properties). They have separate
categories for Liability Claims, Insurance Allocations, and a separate
"General" category (in addition to all the General and/or Misc
sub-categories under each of the other categories) and they seem to have
copies of many service contracts. They have such things as
"defibrillators" and "mold issues" under the Group Insurance category,
both General and Miscellaneous sub-categories under a single category,
have Contracts as a main category in one area but a sub-category under
General in another, and in many, many cases have a category,
sub-category and sub-sub-category all called the same thing (for example
Under Group Insurance the have a sub-category called "Mold Issues", with
the sub-category under that called "Mold Issues" and the file title
called "Mold Issues." In almost all cases, the "General" category is the
largest.

When I ask them about their plan their rather huffy answer is that they
deal with so many different things that nothing can be grouped together
-- everything is an individual category.

I am meeting with the Risk Manager tomorrow morning and I was hoping
that folks from the list can share the basic categories they use for
their file plans so I can get a feel for what could be possible. I am
just having trouble getting my brain around what they do. HELP!

Nolene Sherman
Records Manager - CJ Segerstrom & Sons