Sender:
From:
"Millican, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:04:37 -0500
Laura Lamont of Sprint asked the following:

Does anyone have an official policy on the retention of "general business records"?  We define general business records as "electronic non-record or working files, created or received for general business use but not required for record retention purposes".  The powers that be are currently discussing whether these documents require a stated policy for review and deletion.

Laura, first and foremost, the definition of "general business records" is rather broad. Who decides what records are placed into this category? Who regulates what eventually is placed into this category; and therefore, has no retention policy or period assigned - Yikes?

Yes, I get the definition as noted in your request to the List. For those of us who have been living in the law firm environment for a number of years (OK - the number is large) and addressing this issue, coupled with the issue of "working files" (nasty area - although very real), it is always a very sensitive and volatile issue. As a records practitioner, and for the last six years as a consultant, it has been my recommendation to avoid such categories if at all possible.

How long do companies keep working files, or electronic non-records (I trust Sprint's definition is very, very clear and iron clad)? The answer is very broad; probably from one year to permanent depending on the strength of the managing attorneys, whether a law firm or corporation. The key to determining the retention period lies heavily on the content of your "electronic non-record", and your "working files". Therein lies the rub.

Your task is a tough one and not easily solved. You probably already know that. Take heart, you've asked the right group; and I am sure that with all of the responses you will no doubt receive, you will identify the best course of action.

With regards,

Bill Millican
eSentio Technologies
816.468.1449 (office)
816.213.5007 (cell)

________________________________

Does anyone have an official policy on the retention of "general
business records"?  We define general business records as "electronic
non-record or working files, created or received for general business
use but not required for record retention purposes".  The powers that be
are currently discussing whether these documents require a stated policy
for review and deletion.

Thanks!!

Laura D. Lamont
Records Analyst