Sender:
From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:12:54 -0500
empowering everybody in the workplace, in the lib is a matter of
making a bit of a study of labor relations. an interest in labor
relations empowers as well the spouses, friends, families of library
workers and even library users. our cities' public libraries have a
history of being identified with the authoritarian managerial
predicament.

then where prejudices would be a part of the institutional setting it
affects everybody including people who fear that they can be targeted
for their personal lives.

boston public library is a model of a bad example. the lib has if not
the oldest, one of the oldest of our cities' public libraries'
professional associations. how as a collective bargaining union it
fails or succeeds is worthy of the interest for anybody who would see
improvement, change in the lib as a workplace.