Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:54:19 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:42:28 -0500, Harris, Yvonne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Can anyone address this issue: My IS department is looking to create a retention policy for certain file types (i.e. Word, Excel, etc) that reside on the X:/drive.

is the X:/drive a shared drive or a workgroup drive? If it is a shared
drive consider a policy that says the shared drive is to be used only
for transferring files to folks outside of the workgroup. The files
can on the drive for only x amount of time, then they will be removed
from the shared drive.

if the X drive is a workgroup drive, as others have pointed out the
retention is determined by the content not the file type. If it is
workgroup drive then consider establishing and implementing a
standardized e-folder system based upon your retention schedule and
organization.. How long the files should remain on the drive are
determined by a lot of factors such as who has to have access,
retrieval times, etc.

peterk