Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:58:23 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:24:06 -0800, Patrick Cunningham
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Couple things...
>
> Second, in reading the redraft of the law (which needs to be
> proofread), I'm not quite as alarmed. I don't care for the term "latest
> state of the art technology", but I can see what they are getting at.

I agree with PatC to a degree. I think the intent of the legislation
is to allow a little more flexibility into what technology can be used
for public records.

>...the law still provides controls. The "director" of public
> records is accountable to approve the means of conversion and must
> write rules to govern the process.

that may be but I guess I would prefer a little stronger language. For
example it says that they "shall consult with ...", I would prefer
"must consult with..."

> ...many organizations would like to be able to do more
> with public records from an accessibility standpoint. They would like
> to make records available over the Internet and having records in
> electronic form makes that possible.

easily evidenced by the various RAIN stories about the latest county
to digitize or image their records. Accessibility is the key, but
preservation, migration and other off in the future problems are
rarely addressed.

> the onus is on the
> State Archives to write reasonable rules that allow the use of
> electronic record-keeping systems, but still protect the integrity nad
> future availability of the information. A key point here is ensuring
> the future migration of the information as technology evolves.

While the State Archives may write the rules it would be nice if their
were a stick in the law that makes sure the rules are followed.

Peterk