Sender:
From:
JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:41:19 -0700
Thanks, Brian and everyone else who provided a good link. After reading it
through, my sole comment is that I would recommend use of the term "current
technology" rather than "latest state of the art". I think it is a safer
recommendation, particularly for an organization that might not be as
technical nor have as ready access to technology-savvy records managers and
archivists. CD and DVD = current technology (I know, CD could be argued.);
dual-layer, blue-laser-based, holography are all latest state of the art and
might become widely accepted eventually - or could go the way of the Betamax
and laserdisc storage.

I didn't see anything that would prohibit continued use of microfilm,
although the impetus would seem to be away from it; and as someone else
noted earlier and in many previous threads relating to microfilm, it's tough
to store GIS, and relational databases, and data-driven web pages, and email
with attachments, etc. etc. etc. in microfilm form. It's not impossible -
but it's a lot more difficult than with other types. If your organization
has to keep some of that stuff (and who doesn't, at least WRT some email
messages that should be treated as records), you need to have a way to do it
that doesn't involve microfilm.

My .02 on a gorgeous Colorado afternoon,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, EDP, ICP
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
http://www.imergeconsult.com
CDIA+ training returns to Denver March 3-4 - call for details!