Sender:
From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:47:51 -0800
From: Roach, Bill J. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

>I believe I learn more from folks who work in a totally different
>environment than I do.  My peers tend to think alike.  Innovation comes
>from a new perspective.  Last summer I spent four days in a boat with the
>CEO of a medical compliance association.  We discussed at length the
>similarities and differences between our two environments.  The result is a
>number of new ideas, different perspectives and alternative methods for
>improving both compliance efforts and records processing issues.

Bill and others make excellent points - the opportunities for networking
with others in our profession in my mind are just as, in not more, important
than the educational programs offered at the ARMA Conference.  That's the
primary reason I attend them.  Where else can someone meet over 1,000 plus
records managers, from all backgrounds and industries, at one venue.

When I interviewed for my current position (in a industry sector I had never
worked before) I emphasized the relationships I had established with others
in the energy sector, primarily through ARMA.  I even used some of them as
references.  Defintely helped me get the job.  No more snow and freezing
tempuratures to boot!

I think one can make a case for attending ARMA just on the networking
aspects alone.  As Patrick C. said "Tell her that you found two other people
in your industry that you can talk to about common issues."  You can't tell
me that lawyers', CPA's, and other professionals aren't attending their own
respective conferences just for the educational content.  Networking, baby,
networking.

My two cents...

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Manager, Records Management
Sempra Global
619-696-4671
619-696-3104 - Fax
619-952-7145 - Cell

"Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCal Gas,
and Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities
Commission."