Sender:
From:
Laura Steinberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:02:35 -0800
Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but I'm just getting to my
email...
I've got to agree with Gary, in that the practice of dividing files by
attorney could end up being expensive as far as storage costs are
concerned.  I'd like to bring up another point, if that's okay....  How
many people make up your staff and what are your filing
responsibilities?  Giving your filing staff the additional
responsibility of having to remember who belongs to a file, or trying to
keep any sort of tracking system up-to-date is going to be more than you
should be able to handle.  What happens if a new attorney substitutes
into a case?  Does the file get moved to a different set of carts?  In
our firm, it isn't unusual for attorneys to move in and out of cases
depending on the subject matter, their expertise, scheduling conflicts
for the handling attorneys and the like.  You'll also have to think of
how your paralegals and secretaries are going to react to having to go
to multiple carts to find the files they want - unless you have a 24
hour staff in a secure file room.  You might instead try thinking of
dividing up the files by practice area - but I'm a big believer in the
KISS principle.  I like my files organized by client and matter on great
big inexpensive shelves.  Laura A. Steinberg
Records Management Supervisor
Epsten, Grinnell & Howell APC
9980 Carroll Canyon Rd, 2nd Floor
San Diego, CA 92131
858.527.0111
www.epsten.com

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or
legally privileged. Unless you are the addressee, or authorized to
receive e-mail for the addressee, you may not use, copy or disclose to
anyone this message or any information contained in this message or any
attachment. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender by reply e-mail, delete the message and any attachments, and
destroy all hard copies of same. Thank you.}