Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:29:48 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
At 04:57 PM 3/1/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone seen an exact publication which references the exact
>temperature point at which different types of media fail. Magnetically
>coded media fails at 122º F to 125º F because the magnetic message foes
>back to random state.  But media encoded using lasers to create bubbles
>( blisters of delamination) create a more fragile media with regard to
>heat.

In general, I use this as my primary reference for CDs and DVDs:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf

(see page 16 for temp and RH)

>We should write a White Paper from the Listserv to the Media
>Manufacturers Assn telling them to start developing a more stable
>media.  Shoot!!

Funny you'd say this:

http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/35169-1.html

But again, it's specific media types, not media overall.

>The temperature inside a Blade Server is hotter than
>the what the Standards say the short Term Peak Temperature can be for
>media.  Plus we need to take the Server Manufacturers to task as well!
>If your Air Conditioning System even hiccups the temperature inside the
>Blade Servers will climb so fast they are a fire hazard.Am I the only
>one that thinks this is stupid?

I think the difference here is the media in a blade server isn't thought of
as "media".  Typically when you say media, you think of something removable
and re-insertable into a drive.

Larry