Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:32:50 +0800
From:
Grahame Gould <[log in to unmask]>
> Hugh Smith said
>I already own the Australian Standard on Records Management and Vaults
>so I already sent some money your way.  But which one tells me what the
>exact temperature that media stops being a useable record that is
>readable in the normal course of use. Tell me which one and I will buy
>it.

Ah, if only I was that knowledgeable on Standards.  Only ever bought 2 or 3
in my life and rarely refer to them.  My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek.

I think it's absolutely correct to say that we don't really know.  Anyone
who mentioned a figure would only be giving a guess.  A very good guess it
may be, but media can fail below any such level, and may survive above it.
That's not to say that taking note of any such indications of temperature
ranges has no value, but I doubt any Standards organisation is going to pin
their reputation on them.

Grahame Gould
Information Co-ordinator
Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
Phone: (08) 9168 4100
Fax: (08) 9168 1798
Web: www.thelastfrontier.com.au

This email may contain confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender.
The views expressed in this email may or may not be the official position of
the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley.