Sender:
From:
"Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:01:47 -0600

From the Glossary of the website of the Disaster Recovery Journal -
http://www.drj.com/

BUSINESS CONTINUITY PLANNING (BCP): Process of developing advance
arrangements and procedures that enable an organization to respond to an
event in such a manner that critical business functions continue with
planned levels of interruption or essential change. SIMILAR TERMS:
Contingency Planning, Disaster Recovery Planning, Business Resumption
Planning, Continuity PlanningNote all of the similar terms--there are
probably quite a few more, which can be confusing.  Hopefully in the
next few years the industry will settle on one.  My firm refers to it
generally as Business Continuity Planning, which I'm in favor of because
it seems to cover all of the issues that your program will need to
address--including disaster recovery.  Just my opinion.  Good luck, and
take good care of your company's records.  You're in charge!

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

I have been asked to participate in a IS Disaster Recovery and Business
Continuity plans.  The following is IS proposed definitions of these.
You will note that they are mostly technical.  My concern is that
business continuity is managing the information (records) to ensure
their integrity and access should there be a disaster.  Has anyone
worked on this type of issue before and have they clearer definitions
that what has been proposed, and no we do  not have a record management
policy to rely on, we are still struggling with the RM/IS power, but
this could be an opportunity to engage them in this process.  What do
you think??  We have a kick off meeting next month and I would like to
be forearmed as well as forewarned.  LOL
Definitions: Disaster Recovery: the process of recovering the technical
infrastructure to support the business applications or
services.........
Business Continuity: the process of running the business while the
technical infrastructure is unavailable until the disaster recovery is
completed.
Pretty ambiguous in my mind.
Thanks,
Bonnie Snudden, Team Leader
Syncrude Extraction Information Management
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Email:  [log in to unmask]

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged,
confidential and covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521.

If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, distribute,
or reproduce this transmission.

If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
notify us immediately of the error by return email and please
delete the message from your system.

Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
http://www.rkmc.com