Sender:
From:
"Laiche, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:33:48 -0600
Some time back, we revised our file plans and classification schemes
from departments/organizations to "functions".  We are a sizable
government contractor, and tend to reorganize frequently, so the concept
of "functions" has worked quite well (particularly in the electronic
environment).   It allows us to reorganize departments and even
directorates as often as we need to without impacting the standardized
"function" scheme.  We just transfer the  ownership--including
document/record approval authority--of a function from one department to
another as needed.  Nothing else changes.  For example, the "function"
of managing records has been under 3 different department names (Records
Control, Records Management and Records/Document Services) and moved to
3 different directorates (Integrated Projects, Procurement and Business
Services, and Business Operations) in the past 5 years.  However, we
have not had to change any of our corporate file plans or schemes for
records management as the "function" is separate and not specifically
tied to a department or directorate.

Our current corporate library (Centra) is built using function, and our
new document/records application (Documentum + RM) is being designed
using the same functional concept.  If you want more info, I'd be happy
to provide more details upon request.

Elizabeth Laiche
Records/Document Services Manager
DynMcDermott Petroleum (DOE SPR Contractor)
New Orleans, LA
504-734-4659