Sender:
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:05:27 -0600
From:
"King, Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: [log in to unmask] cc: "Thompson, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>, "Mary Macklin (E-mail 2)" <[log in to unmask]>
Here at Sedgwick County we are in the market for a scanner to image journal pages, approximately 11x17-inches, initially for the project I describe in more detail in the several paragraphs that follow below. I would appreciate comments and recommendations, especially from others who have completed a similar project. We have lots of scanners in the organization, but no 11x17 flat beds. Right now, I have my eye on two Epson scanners: GT-1500 (appears adequate) and Expression 1000XL (more features and pricier). More generally, I am interested in comments and advice from other local governments, which have preserved records by retiring deteriorated, active records to archives and formally re-certifying replacement records.

Our project would preserve County Commission Road Books (books A, B, C and D, about 1,300 pages), which date from formation of the county in 1870 to about 1950. They document creation of township roads. These roads were petitioned by property owners, described both as a legal description and as a map, and went through a legal process, resulting in approval by the County Commission, which is recorded by the County Clerk in this set of journals. Despite their age, these are active records. In recent years, they are not consulted often, but when they are it is usually for definitively settling some legal dispute (or avoiding one). They document road locations and public right-of-way.

A graduate student in the Public History Program at Wichita State University conducted a detail inventory of the books and their conditions last semester. This semester she (with the assistance of my RM/Archives Assistant, also a student in the WSU PHP, our Imaging Administrator and myself) is proceeding to plan their preservation and begin executing the plan. Our general plan is to (1) scan the books, (2) create a set of replacement books for reference in the County Clerk's Office, (3) create a set of image files for printing copies for users, and (4) retire original books to County Archives. We plan to disbind and stabilize pages in polyester sleeves for scanning. We have faded ink, darkened paper, glue stains and brittle paper. Replacement books probably will need to be re-certified by the current County Clerk. Scanning and printing of certain pages -- mostly maps that use color to convey information -- will need to be in color. Certain faded, handwritten text may need to be transcribed onto replacement pages, or missing pieces of maps restored from other versions in County custody.

All persons involved -- including the Real Estate Records Supervisor in the County Clerk's Office -- agree that the best final product is BOTH a set of replacement, bound books and a set of digital images. For certain periods, records of a road will go across facing pages. Often groups gather around an open book, lay out a larger map beside it on the table, point and discuss. Digital images would be integrated into other imaged records maintained for the County Clerk on the County's imaging system.

We discussed the project in concept with the RE Records Supervisor early on. Currently, we are researching legalities and how to apply technology. When we have pinned down the plan, and are ready to proceed with a test, we will discuss with her and the County Clerk and Chief Deputy in detail.