Sender:
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:32:29 +1100
From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Lori,

Firstly, I would like to clarify that while I have seen IT people roughly
handle tape, the Data Security industry (AKA Media Vaults) go out of their
way to ensure tape is handled professionally.

Secondly, I am amazed by your response to HIPPA and SOX by storing tapes in
locked cases.

From a HIPPA perspective a locked box is really not going to stop anyone who
wants to read confidential information from reading it, the only secure way
of ensuring this is to encrypt the data on the tapes.

From a SOX perspective, I do not see how hiding tapes away in a box helps
fulfill the goals of SOX. It is kind of like saying that post Enron that you
can now only use Aurther Anderson auditors if they are also deaf mutes.

I usually measure the quality of a Data Security firm by which product they
push. It is far easier to store your tapes in a locked container than take
responsibility for all of your individual tapes, this is why many vaults
encourage you to do it.

My advice to people when choosing an offsite provider is to look for one you
can trust rather than one that works on the premise that you can not trust
them with anything but the storage of a locked box.

They are out there, and they are often not the people who lost a Bank of
America tapes.

Some of the disadvantages of storing in locked boxes are:

(1) The vault can not check for irregularities such as the same tape being
sent offsite every day, or no tapes at all.
(2) The vault can not report to you on tape damage.
(3) If you are running a TMS your vault can not compare what was meant to go
offsite with what is actually sent offsite (this is critical).
(4) If you want one tape back you have to call back the whole case (and if
you do not know what case it is people often call back all cases). This
leaves you far more exposed than you have to be.
(5) It puts the whole management burden on the customer.

Large banks and the like have been sending tapes offsite for decades and
have very refined DR plans. Almost all of these companies store in open
shelving in media vaults.

Usually, only small business store in boxes. These companies usually have
less refined DR plans.

Go figure...

Gerard