Sender:
From:
Sharon Blackstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:28:36 -0700
Re. missing year on SS statements -

Nolene, I was wrong.  The year we are missing is 2001, not beyond our
retention period for W2s.  The problem I was remembering was that a provider
of public retiree benefits that is no longer under contract with the city,
but which provides benefits to hundreds of retirees, went through some major
change last year and our Finance Dept was getting call after call asking for
the type of information provided on a W2. Being accommodating, they were
trying to help, and came to me wanting to change the retention on W2s to
permanent.  Of course, being the mean person I am, I was tempted to say,
tell 'em it's their problem, they should have saved all their W2s, LIKE I
DO!! (which is why I'm not in the caregiving professions), but I didn't
convince them and they didn't convince me - our finance folks trudged
through and found the information from other sources and I didn't change the
retention schedule. However, not all employers would be as accommodating as
our Finance Dept was, which is why I suggest keeping these documents longer
than the usually recommended 7 years.

Sharon Blackstock