Sender:
From:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:13:19 -0500
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this list and have only been lurking for a few days, but I'm an
old hand on the archives listserv.  I'm an archives consultant currently
performing a preservation assessment for a town in New England that has some
vault problems.  I'm hoping that there is a records manager out there with
some practical experience on this issue who can assist me.  The vault in
question currently houses the town's permanent public records.  The vault is
on the first floor against an outer wall.  This building has had some
flooding problems along this wall and there are visible water stains and
some mold.  The building itself has also had internal flooding issues with
bursting pipes from floors above.  Though the burst pipes have not yet
directly harmed the archives storage area, I'm concerned that a future water
problem will.  A proper HVAC system is not currently in place and is being
recommended to help alleviate the mold issue, but obviously I am interested
in boosting the building envelope as well.  I have read a little bit on the
Web about waterproofing options, but frankly I'm overwhelmed with the
information.  I understand that the best option is to move the vault to the
interior of the building or better yet to move to a new facility. Barring
that, are there practical ways to enhance the current situation? I'm
assuming that there are not appropriate waterproofing chemical sprays that
can be used in such a vault for fear of harming the records.  Is this a
correct assumption?  What other barriers can be used to help keep water out
of the vault, if any?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Melissa

Melissa Mannon
Archives Consultant
Archives and Information Consulting Services
Bedford, NH
603-661-7611
http://www.archivesinfo.com