Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:44:14 -0800
I am a student at Bluefield college and am doing a short research paper
on
the usefullness of a listserv.  I am studying Oranizational  Management.
My
long term goal is to own and operate my own business.   What kind of
information
can you give me on this  topic.

Katherine,

On the whole list serves are a valuable tool. When functioning properly
and used in the proper context they can provide valuable information in
a very timely manner. With a few keystrokes several thousand Records
Managers can know about a disaster. As experienced lately the timeliness
of the responses vary (I think this list has corrected the problem and
the malefactor properly chastised). So to rely on or expect an answer as
fast as you would like is unrealistic. The knowledge base is enormous,
if at times suspect. Keep in mind a broad range of experience,
knowledge, education and training is sitting in front of monitors around
the world (yes even in Australia) waiting with abated breath for the
next query. The responses need a fine filter at times to weed out the
less that accurate assessments. Records Managers lead lonely lives. This
is never more evident than the tangent they run off on (look up magnetic
worm in the list archives). On the whole list serves are an incredible
tool. Any deficiencies in the list serve would be satisfied with the
total involvement of most of the lurkers.

Internal lists are a valuable tool and maybe would worth looking at
separately.

Chris Flynn