Sender:
From:
wsteven1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:08:38 -0500
What I have found in the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) School of
Information Sciences is that by working with my professor/advisor, Dr. Mike
Pemberton, it was possible to 'custom-tailor' a Records Management/Archival
Management program in order to obtain the necessary classes/experiences for a
Masters of Science in Information Sciences, focussing on Records Management
and Archival Management.  However, in my case, it included taking a class and
doing a practicum at a university 120 miles away as part of the experience.
If there had not been a level of cooperation within the program, Selected
Readings and Independent Study classes that could have been taken, it would
not have been possible.

One piece of advice that I would offer to aspiring students who want to focus
on Records Management/Archival Management is to constantly review the job
requirements while perusing the course offerings, regardless of getting a
BA/BS/MS/MA/MALS (yes, one is offered at ETSU-Johnson City, TN but is not ALA
accredited).  This is my last semester in the program at UTK, however, I will
take additional courses that would directly relate to the job requirements,
provided the jobsearch fails to result in employment prior to my Graduate
Hooding this May.

Bill Stevens