Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:22:37 -0800
>This is regularly broadcast on the History Channel's as part of their
>Engineering Disasters series (every Wednesday I believe)

http://snipurl.com/dn25

Page 5 and 6 include an interview with the designer and engineer.
http://www.accesskansas.org/ksbtp/Kansas%20Tech%20Oct%20'01.pdf

While nothing is mentioned in the article about the pre and post
construction drawings aside from a minimal comment that "the drawings had
my seals on them" and the decision to alter the design was "approved in a
telephone call and not supported by official drawings or calculations", my
recollection comes from a late 1980s presentation made by the engineer (Mr.
Gillum) at a Structural Engineering Conference I attended.  It does state
that he lost his license, but it doesn't state that he (and the firm he
worked for) avoided financial penalties because of being able to produce
drawings that were contrary to the ultimate construction methods employed.

Larry