Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:35:09 -0800
From:
Michael Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
At 01:01 PM 3/28/2005, Johnson, Earl [CRDUS non j&J] wrote:
>Good afternoon ListServe,
>
>Can anyone recommend a good online resource (dictionary or thesaurus) for
>computer words, terms, acronyms, etc.?
>
>Thanks, and have a great day!
>Earl

Hmm, I guess that depends on if you mean computer terms in general, hacker
lingo, specific platform terms, etc…

There is E.S.R's jargon file, for the lingo side of things.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/

If you are desiring to look up specific terms, TechWeb has an IT encyclopedia
http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/

There's the Free On-Line Dictionary Of Computing:
http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/index.html

For acronyms in specific, my favorite is Acronym Finder:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/

While Wikipedia is a general encyclopedia, it does well on computer terms,
as it's up-datable by anyone on-line. This has some downsides, but it's
done pretty well on most things for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

HowStuffWorks has many computer tech related articles, and is great for
defining things for those less technically inclined:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/

The File Extension Source is handy if you are trying to figure out a
Windows file extension:
http://filext.com/index.php
(There are other similar speciality resources for other platforms, etc.)

That's what's in my bookmarks.

Michael Edwards
Blank Law & Technology P.S.  -  206.256.9699 x36
2001 Western Avenue, Suite 250  -  Seattle, Washington 98121