Sender:
From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:32:36 -0600
Does anyone on this list image the completed W-9's they receive from party's
they plan to make payments to?  If you do image them or if you have done an
analysis of imaging this form I have a few questions:

1.      Who are the most common requestors of the completed W-9 and how
frequently do they request access?
2.      What fields do you index along with the image for purposes of
information or ease of retrieval?
3.      Assuming you meet at least the IRS standard for imaging, do you
destroy the paper (either original ink-signed W-9 or faxed copy) shortly
after imaging and rely on the images as originals?
4.      Is there any tax liability to be determined from a W-9.  As a tax
document I believe the retention of these goes back to being so many years
after tax liability is determined.  If it is only an informational form with
no liability to determine, then could W-9's be destroyed after X years after
receipt?  This doesn't make sense either though because I don't believe you
would ever want to destroy the W-9 of an active vendor.