Sender:
From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:30:37 -0800
Larry Medina asked:

>Also, if the Selective Service is part of the "civilian government"
>(independent agency)... why would NARA have control of the records??

I supect these are considered historical records, in which case they would
be transferred to NARA after a specific period of time, normally 20 years.
Several agencies transfer archival records to NARA.

The perception is that most of these records are stored in the Beltway
region. In fact a significant number of NARA's archival holdings are in the
nine regions, Atlanta being one.  The St. Louis facility (mentioned earlier)
maintains the personnel/employement records for military and civilian
employees who are no longer with the federal government.

I would encourage a visit to a regional office if one is close; you will
surprised what they have.  Kansas City, for example, has records from the
"Big House" in Leavenworth, where a number of notorious criminals served
their time.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Manager, Records Management
Sempra Global
619-696-4671
619-696-2534 (Fax)
619-952-7145 (Cell)

"Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCal Gas,
and Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities
Commission."