Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:54:36 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Apr 5, 2005 8:53 PM, Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi, Peter!
>
> Are you sure you don't have handwritten annotations anywhere any more?

I didn't say that they don't exist, what I said was that in all
likelihood the annotations are done electronically. in the corporate
world we've learned to teach our folks that annotating a document any
document creates a new record. And this record is discoverable in our
litigious society..

> Isn't it possible that a high government official, say in the White
> House, might write something of great significance in the margin of a
> hard copy document and physically hand it back to the sender, thereby
> bypassing electronic capture altogether?

and yes that can happen in the corporate business world. What you need
to remember is that it is not strictly black and white.

> I wouldn't count on every one
> using the comments capability in software.

Depends. I suspect that in a lot of companies folks do use the
comments capability. I've even taught folks how to use comments and
highlighting in pdf files.. Recently I showed an attorney how to
capture websites using Adobe and then to point out the
trademark/copyright violations in the website. and then to send that
e-document to the violator

>Some people might not want
> to leave electronic fingerprints, others might love the feature.  I
> don't think anyone can rule out that possibility, old fashioned as it
> exists, it still might happen.

once again I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Annotation can occur in
any number of different ways these day.

> I guess as I'm getting older and starting to think about what I'll do
> after I retire, the question of the types of records I might be
> researching in my spare time really has started to intrigue me.

I think that what you will find is an overwhelming amount of
information maintained in a variety of formats and media.

peter

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va