Sender:
From:
"Gervais, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:59:49 -0400
I would say that you should have processes in place for exiting employees
which identify roles and responsibilities for ensuring the preservation of
your corporate memory.  As an example, a records officer/archivist would
have to work with the employee (if they are still there) to ensure the
records in their possession are classified and either captured into the
corporate records repository, EDMS or the archives.  In the case of the
employee not being available, the records officer or archivist would have on
choice but to go through these boxes of records.  I would say that there
really isn't an easy way.  The manager of that particular business unit
could also perform this task and work with the Records Officer or Archivist.
In closing, I would recommend that a policy, guidelines, standards and/or
processes be put in place as soon as possible.  There should be a governance
structure, roles, responsibilities and methodology in place.  Just some of
my initial thoughts.  Cheers.

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Standards Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Statistics and Information Management Directorate
Policy and Planning Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
25 Nicolas Street, 16th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5