Sender:
From:
"Mullen, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:52:56 -0500
Hello List,

First, a reintroduction since my move from the public sector to the private
and geographically to the midwest.  My name is Jim Mullen and I am the
Records Manager for distribution terminals at Flint Hills Resources, a
division of Koch (coke) Industries in Wichita, KS.  Previously I was
employed by the administration of the University System in Oregon.  It's
great to be back and connected to the list, but send me an ocean and a
mountain if you have some spares  ~(: ^ )

On Apr 6, Barbara wrote,

<<<...documents not covered by a retention schedule.
My manager seems to remember a "2-year rule" -- a procedure that says
documents not covered by a retention schedule must be destroyed after 2
years.  >>>

I've always held records that are not on a retention schedule until one
could be created for that particular type or it is agreed internally that
the record type in question fits an existing series or category according to
the function of the record.  If you organizational policy is affected by CFR
5 as Peter mentioned earlier, I would have that in writing and approved by
management and counsel in writing.  Otherwise, I believe that to destroy
original records not on a retention schedule puts your RIM program in legal
jeopardy due to inconsistent application of policy.

Today's $.02 euro

Jim

Jim Mullen, Records Management Terminal CSO
Flint Hills Resources
4111 East 37th St. N.
Wichita, KS 67220
(316)828-7489