Sender:
From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:43:02 -0500
On Apr 12, 2005 8:01 AM, Dave Hobart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would appreciate any suggested best practices or pitfalls with
> implementing web based training.

Determine whether you want to disseminate information or actually create
"training".  If you want to disseminate information widely, you can use
a well structured web page such as the one that Tracey referenced from
the EPA.  If you want to disseminate information to a targeted group,
you might want to investigate creating a portal - we are using MS
Sharepoint for this and it does facilitate sharing of information among
a group.

For our mandated compliance training on RIM as well as topics such as
Ethics, Sexual Harassment, etc., we use a product called Breeze from
Micromedia.  To develop the training, you produce a PowerPoint
presentation with a script.  In our format, we also include questions at
the end to help people review key points.  Once the training is ready,
we record the script and put the entire presentation into our web
format.  The advantage of Breeze is that it lets us track who has
completed the training - records which we need to have to demonstrate
that a certain topic was covered for an individual.

I have created a module called "Records are Everybody's Business" that
will be released to our employees in June.  I have not yet completed the
script, but have the PowerPoint completed - it has 29 slides and covers
the basics of RM for the user of email (everybody).   We try to keep
this sort of training as brief as possible since each employee also has
to be trained on safety, ethics, etc. and still need time to do their
actual jobs!!  Although I think RM should be at the top of everyone's
list, I have to bow to the reality, that it actually is only one of the
many tasks that one might have to incorporate into an already crammed
day!!

I hope this helped!

Mary Hilliard, CRM
Records Management Officer, UT System Administration
210 West 6th Street
Austin, Texas 78701
512-499-4557