Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:36:32 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On 4/13/05, Rae Cogar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I will be presenting a session at the ARMA Conference in Chicago entitled:
> "Legal 101 for RIM Professionals".

> Are there particular legal issues you would like addressed?  Are you
> confused by legal terminology and want some basic terms and definitions?
> What about the whole court system - how cases are filed, settled or
> determined and why case law is important?

Well since it is called Legal 101 how about these topics

1. How legislation is created
2. what is the difference between a statute and regulation
3. Explain the differences between a criminal case and a civil case.
4. Define a contract/agreement
5. Explain statutes of limitation
6. How does a lawsuit get to federal courts
7. How to 'read' a regulation
8. What makes Louisiana different from the other states (legally)
9. What are the basic steps in a lawsuit
10. What is case law and what makes it important.
11. What is precedent?
12. Basic legal terms (stare decisis, voir dire, sui generis, etc)

Start with the basics Legal 102 could cover the major issues that
affect records management

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va