Sender:
From:
Joanne DeRepentigny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:36:16 -0400
Good Morning fellow listservees,

I am an active follower of the postings on this listserv and have posted a time or two before and received great advice and suggestions.  Once again, I come to the knowledge hub to seek guidance on a particular matter.

I am in the process of establishing a corporate wide classification scheme.  Progress has been slow but steady.  The structure is a three-tier function based classification scheme (primary=function, secondary=activity, tertiary=subject).

The initial area inventoried and analysed was governance (i.e. Board documents, Committee Documents, Policy Development and Application, Incorporation, Annual Reports, etc).  The challenge is we have a newly minted corporate legal department who are now part of Governance and have to be included into the file plan.  I have presented them with a proposed structure based on the same premise as that of the organization and they have expressed the fact that the function based system simply will not work for them.

Most of these lawyers are from firms and are used to client/matter-centric RM. I have tried the route of saying we are a pension company and not a law firm but that really didn't hold that much water with them.

My question is, what would be the best structure for the legal department's file plan and classification system.  Noting, that I do not wish to compromise the months of work and the integrity of what I have already developed for the organisation.  Can I make an exception for this department and keep the three tiers but redefine the parameters?  That is, primary=client, secondary=subject, tertiary=function and just document the exception to structure?

Any guidance, examples, or advice would be most appreciated and welcome.

Thank you

Joanne de Repentigny
Records, Information & Office Management
OMERS
One University Avenue, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario
M5J 2P1
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

This e-mail message is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and is confidential, subject to copyright and may be legally privileged.  Any unauthorized review, use or disclosure is prohibited. If you received this in error,please contact the sender and delete all copies of the e-mail together with any attachments.