Sender:
From:
Gerri Graca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:17:24 -0400
Hello everyone,

I have recently obtained an Archivist position with a marine archeological
firm in Florida.  We are in the process of creating an online database of
our collection.  We would like to have a setup where we can create barcodes
for materials so we can keep track of circulation.  Coming from a special
librarian background, I have never worked with a barcode system (there was
no need for it in my previous jobs).  Could anyone please give suggestions
on:

1.      Software and equipment used for barcode scanning?  I know there are
different types of scanners, i.e., wands, etc. What works best for small
archives/libraries?
2.      Software programs for circulation purposes?

and/or

3.      Cataloging software that would be compatible with barcode scanning?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Gerri Graca

Archivist

Odyssey Marine Exploration