Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:17:01 -0700
From:
"Nemchek, Lee R." <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Private Law Libraries LegalRec SIS <[log in to unmask]>
Larry Medina wrote:

< >
There are two distinct career paths here for someone... there is a Law
Librarian and there is a Legal Records Manager.  If you want to be
involved in records management, then that's the road to take... you may
be able to look to your left or right and see the person on the other
path, but it's rather infrequent that the paths cross.  As a career
move, you may elect to enter a firm to work in the Law Library and if
you have the RIM background, attempt to move over to the RM function at
some point in time, but you don't normally see someone serve both
functions.

> My perception is that most firms have a records manager/conflict
function that is not associated with the library and research.  Is that
a correct perception?

From what I've seen... it differs from firm to firm, sometimes based on
the size of the firm, other times based on what they specialize in.

< >

Sorry, Larry, but this isn't true in many law firms anymore.  The
American Association of Law Libraries has had a Private Law Librarians
Records Management Group (of which I am the current chair) for many
years, and the number of professionals in private law firms who manage
multiple information departments (library, records, conflicts,
docket/calendar) increases every year.  This is especially true for
conflicts of interest, because more and more legal administrators and
managing partners have realized that librarians are uniquely suited to
manage conflicts departments and the complex research that conflicts
identification and clearing entails.  It is even possible nowadays to
start off as a legal records manager in law firms and morph the other
way, i.e., into managing the firm's library functions.  [Just ask my
good friends Beth Chiaiese and Larry Eiring if you don't believe me!]

Keith, here's my advice, based on 20 years managing a private law firm's
library and RM departments and my knowledge of the field at large:

1.  If you have a JD, you can go either way in private firms, as most
firms don't strictly require a library degree for librarian jobs.  If
you have an equivalent degree and relevant experience, you can probably
get an entry level job.

2.  With a JD and an information-related degree, you're going to be
pretty over-qualified for an entry level job in a law firm RM
department.  Most of us don't expect to hire lower level records
assistants with JDs, but it's certainly not unheard of.  If you want to
go straight to a supervisory/management position after school, again,
the degrees you have will look good on paper and get you in the door, as
long as you have some relevant experience.

3.  Having a JD will be a definite PLUS to get you a job at a law firm
conflicts department, regardless of whether the department is managed by
a librarian, a records manager, or a separate conflicts manager.  If
you're going for a conflicts job, definitely play up the library aspect
of your education and experience.

Any other questions, feel free to contact me off list.

--Lee

Lee R. Nemchek MLS, CRM
Information Resources Manager
Morrison & Foerster LLP
(213) 892-5359

you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please
advise the sender by reply e-mail @mofo.com, and delete the message.
Thank you very much.