Sender:
From:
Gerard Nicol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 20:03:37 -0400
Peter,

It is true you did not say that scanning proves anything, but you did use
FedEx as an example. All FedEx, UPS et al do is scan your parcel at every
point.

Here is an example of what UPS offer:

3:05 P.M.    SYDNEY, AU           IMPORT SCAN  Apr 20, 2005
6:58 A.M.    ONTARIO, CA, US      PKG DELAY-ADD'L SECURITY CHECK BY GOV'T
12:43 A.M.   LOUISVILLE, KY, US   ARRIVAL SCAN Apr 19, 2005
9:38 P.M.    AUSTIN, TX, US       DEPARTURE SCAN
9:19 P.M.    AUSTIN, TX, US       ARRIVAL SCAN
8:57 P.M.    AUSTIN, TX, US       DEPARTURE SCAN
8:27 P.M.    AUSTIN, TX, US       ORIGIN SCAN
6:32 P.M.    US                   BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I am not sure if they actually scan the parcel as they load it on the
plane, but at any point they could scan the parcel and then do something
completely different with it.

But the point is that they don't. I got this parcel because UPS did not
lose it. Scanning played its part in the process but it was followed up
with a commitment to handle the parcel with due care.

Now as for the parcel itself, I did not even check to see if it was
addressed to me before I opened it.

I was expecting a parcel, one came so I opened it.

Had I have been on vacation and received the wrong parcel someone else
still would have signed for it, and it would have sat on my desk until I
returned.

My point here is that the process relies in the end on the contents of the
box, not the box or the address or the barcode of the box.

If the Time/Warner tapes turn up in 2 months time when another customer
finds them amongst their own tapes, what will IM do?

I can't see them putting out a press release saying "Hey look we found them
over at our other customer. Everybody stop looking".

Gerard