Sender:
From:
"Michael, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 15:41:28 -0600
With tongue firmly planted in cheek...

I "found" 11 archive boxes full of 8 inch floppy disks from 1982 to 1990
along with the "diskette handling and storage" sheet identifying the
kinds of disks that can by used with the OASys stand-alone work
stations.  It also references the software level "C" through "F".  I've
been around this business a long time, but haven't seen these types of
references before.

Excerpts from the diskette usage section:  "If your OASys 3000 does not
have a light by the disk drive(s), you may use only SS/SD diskettes,
level C.  If your OASys 3000 has a light by the disk drive(s) and SS/DD
or DS/DD drives, you may use Level F or Level G diskettes, but not Level
C.  If your system has two disk drives and you're using an 9.1 diskette
in drive # 1, you may use any level diskette from C through 9.1 in drive
# 2."  I was worried that I might have to have a specific disk for my
drive 2, but I guess any will work...  But, I don't have either drive
anymore...

I did a Google search and found a site referencing the OASys 3000 as a
typewriter-looking thing made by Fujitsu.  Does anyone have this type of
system?  If so, can you send it to me so I can look at the disks?  If I
can't find the hardware and software, maybe I'll just look at the paper
records that were printed as a result of this work...  On second
thought, maybe I don't need the disks anymore.

This is just some food for thought as we embark on finding the perfect
technological solution to our problems.

Tongue has been removed from cheek.

BTW, I really do have these boxes of disks and the instruction sheet for
proper handling, storage, and use.

Lee Michael