Sender:
From:
John Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 08:41:41 -0700
        Over the roughly 7+ years I have been a participant of the List I
have seen an untold number of requests for information concerning salary
range surveys for records management positions. Well, now I know why the
information is so hard to find.
        At the end of April I had requested salary ranges for a variety of
positions related to records management in the Southern California area and
had promised to compile the information in ranges and provide for everyone's
use. I am very sorry to advise the list that I received only one response
(Thanks Ben) from the State of Virginia and nothing from any other agency,
anywhere.
        Since I had asked for information from public agencies, I know I
could pry the information from everyone's cold dead hands with Public
Records Act requests, but frankly did not feel that such tactics would be
necessary from such a dedicated group. In the interest of providing even a
small amount of information, I am attaching the information as it applies
solely to the City of Oceanside. As one will see, we are hardly getting fat
from feeding at the "public trough", especially working in one of the
highest cost of living areas in the nation, so I admit, the survey idea was
a bit self serving as I am attempting to provide the documentation and
justification to revise compensation levels.
        In any case, here is the information as it applies to my agency as
of 7/4/04, I hope it will be of value to the list in general.

Position Title                          Salary range
Assistant/Deputy City Clerk     $4,729 - $6,034 mo
Records Manager                 $3,969 - $5,067 mo
Administrative Analyst I        $3,319 - $4,236 mo
Records Center Supervisor       $3,019 - $3,853 mo
Records Center Technician       $2,321 - $2,877 mo
Document Imaging Supervisor     $Not established yet
Document Technician             $2,397 - $3,059 mo
Imaging Technician              $2,108 - $2,683 mo

John Guthrie
Records Manager
City of Oceanside