Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 11:17:54 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On 5/13/05, Piotrowski, Charles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> That said, I learned a lot about HR and salary data and how HR's base
> their pay on other institutions.  If the entire "industry" is paid
> poorly it will take a lot of your time, understanding of your boss and
> an open-minded HR to work outside of the data; but you have to get them
> outside of that data.

little known fact, but HR departments call other HR departments and
ask "do you have a records manager on board?, if so how much do you
pay them?" Seriously this is true as i've worked with HR folks and
asked how they do salary determinations. What they fail to realize is
that may be the current salary, but would they be able to replace the
incumbent for that dollar amount. Probably not.

look at the recent posting from the Denver area where the salary range
is $90-110K, the salary range for RMs is slowly moving up, but folks
need to realize that the title "records manager" has been applied to a
wide variety of positions. In some cases the position may be only in
charge of file room, while another position is developing and
implementing policy and procedure.

I like Charles' strategy of comparing the RM position to folks in IT

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va