Sender:
From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 13:42:33 -0400
Hi,

I saw this and enjoyed it as well.

However, and this sounds like a know-it-all cliché, but the book is much better.  The movie focused on the machismo of Skilling and masculine aggressive style of the traders, even to the point of including, IMHO, a superfluous strip club interior shot (typical activity therein shown in the movie - thus squashing my plans to show the dvd to my colleagues at work as a future lunch event!)

While there is no doubt that masculine aggressiveness was an issue in their culture (80s corporate culture - without the suspenders), the book focused more on the birth of power trading (very much in use today), creative accounting practices, failure of internal and external oversight and the triumph of audacity over practicality: A classic Gilded Age redux.

Noting the complexity of CFO Fastow's shenanigans, I have no clue how one could auteur his schemes such as LMJ and Jedi for cinema, but they did try.

The movie did excel in linking Enron practices to the coup in California: a remarkable historical event that folks are beginning see had less to do with "Gray Davis' mismanagement" and a lot to do with Enron's need for cash, Darrell Issa's bank roll, legislative incompetence, Davis's own lack of charisma and how "star power" can quickly become "political power."

I recommend both the book and the movie!

- Chuck