Sender:
From:
Laura Dettloff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 13:28:13 -0500
Hello!

I have a question that I am hoping some of my more experienced colleagues on
this list can help me with.  I am getting ready to research, write, and
implement an electronic records policy at my institution.  Right now, I am
currently inventorying all of the electronic records that we have and
identifying our current practices in preserving them.  My question is this:
would it be alright to discard an original floppy disk, hard disk, CD, etc. if
the electronic data is backed up on two different servers as well as placed on
a backup CD.  In other words, we would be discarding the original floppy disk
(or other media) in favor of the copies that we have made (capturing of course
all significant metadata, etc) - as in many cases we will no longer be able to
read the data from the original disk anyhow. Does anyone have experience with
this issue?  All help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Laura

Laura Dettloff
Archivist for Records Management

Archives of the University of Notre Dame
607 Hesburgh Library
Notre Dame, IN  46556

(574) 631-4028