Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 11:45:37 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Sounds more like a policy problem than a process problem.
 I'd think whoever is responsible for FUNDING the purchase of inventory of
tools would want to speak to the Supervisor of the Construction crews and
tell them that this is the POLICY to ensure proper accounting of
organizational assets, and they need to comply with the policy.
 Similarly, if it's an issue for accounting and proper billing for materials
and repairs, whoever is responsible for recovering those costs should want
to see this properly accounted for, so again, it's a policy issue.
 I agree that it could be as simple as applying a barcode and having the
users check in/check out scan at the door where the tools are stored, but
unles they have an ID badge with a number that they scan as well for each
tool, and that's tied to the project they work on for any given day, there's
no way to determine where the tools were used, only who used them.
 The additional step the supervisors are suggesting you take on sounds more
like an audit function to verify they're doing their job than part of YOUR
JOB to me... after all, if the tools are missing, you're still able to do
your work, and you still get paid, right? =)
 Larry