Sender:
From:
"Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 13:31:11 -0500

For files that are checked into the records center, our turnaround time
is 24 hours.  We don't file documents, only folders--the admin.
assistants do the filing at the document level.  In your situation,
turnaround time might depend on how active the case is--what are the
chances someone will retrieve a folder for which filing is not done?

To build trust, keep the level of quality way up there.  Keep stats on
filing volume, lost files, errors, whatever can be tracked.  Have your
clerks check each others work.  Run daily reports so you can do
high-level quality checking.  Check a random sampling of the clerks'
work--the amount you do would depend on their experience and how much
you trust them.  Sometimes this will feel like a waste of time but if
you find one error in 50 that's significant.  One more thing:  get a
short list of records management software packages, budget for one, and
start bugging your boss on a daily basis until you get what you need.

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

For those working in the legal field, what practices/functions would
you
say should be (daily) routine for records clerks?

What would you say, from experience, is an acceptable turnaround time
for filing in the physical files (benchmark)?

How have some of you achieved success in improving accuracy, timing
and
attorney satisfaction or gaining the attorneys' trust?

Please answer keeping in mind that we do not have an electronic RM
system of any kind (we have attempted to create one with Excel but you
can probably imagine how that's going) and we are working with 7
records
clerks and a completely decentralized file room/system.

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged,
confidential and covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521.

If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, distribute,
or reproduce this transmission.

If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
notify us immediately of the error by return email and please
delete the message from your system.

Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
http://www.rkmc.com