Sender:
From:
"Johnson, Earl [CRDUS non j&J]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 09:38:18 -0400
Did anyone catch this story from Peter's RAIN post dated 5/17...
New Australian law to ban e-mail monitoring
Australia's Workplace Surveillance Bill 2005, which will go through the
country's parliament on Wednesday, makes it a criminal offense to read
employee e-mails.  New South Wales will be the first Australian state to
outlaw unauthorized surveillance of employees, with criminal charges for
employers if they break the guidelines. The bill covers video cameras,
e-mail and tracking devices and allows covert surveillance only if the
employer suspects an employee of wrong doing or engaging in criminal
behavior.
Anyone concerned about this?  Could this eventually become US law, and if
so, could you imagine the consequences?  To our RM brethren down under, what
say you?
Here's the website if you want to read more:
http://www.itworld.com/Man/2690/050504emailprivacy/
Respectfully,
Earl

Earl Johnson, Jr., Consultant, WW Records Management
Cordis Corporation (a Johnson & Johnson Company)
Miami Lakes, FL
Office:    (786) 313-6139
Fax:        (786) 313-2273
E-mail:   [log in to unmask]