Sender:
From:
"Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 12:48:09 -0500

<Surveillance cameras apparently exist in hotel rooms hidden in overhead
light fixtures, lamps, vents, etc.>
In general I agree.  Employers have valid reasons for surveillance and
I would think attempting to change such laws here in the U.S. would
encounter extreme resistance.  Your statement about hotels surprises me
though, can you verify it?

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

There is no presumption of privacy with use of employer equipment
including
computers.  Employee handbooks usually thoroughly cover what is
legitimate
use (or not) of equipment (and supplies).  They are also very clear
about
what constitutes an ethics violation.  Of course they are concerned
about
litigation arising from written communication ("shred those documents,
the
auditors are coming"; or "hey baby, how about...." and many other
examples
usually uncovered by computer forensics experts).

I am not a lawyer but certain issues are common sense.  Perhaps I am
more
sensitive to these issues and better informed because I work for a
government agency.  When staff occasionally say "I'll sue if my
supervisor
looks at my email" I refer them to the employee handbook or ask them to
call
the PA's office.  What are they hiding?

If all email are work-related (not personal) and don't contain
anything
illegal/criminal, LEWD or disrespectful, employees shouldn't be
concerned if
it is scrutinized.  Of course, it is normal to wonder or object to
routine
monitoring of email which seems like you are being suspected of
something.
It is my impression there is "big brother" software that detects key
words
and only then is further investigation warranted.

Now "big brother" on your personal home email is another story.  I
guess the
only way to be safe is to disconnect your land line and get rid of your
cell
phone, throw out your computer (after obliterating all it's electronic
contents), never send a letter, or appear where you can be observed.

As for video surveillance, it exists in elevators at one major City
building.  Several years ago they filmed an employee relieving the City
of
several new computers still in the boxes.  He was led away in
handcuffs.

Surveillance cameras apparently exist in hotel rooms hidden in
overhead
light fixtures, lamps, vents, etc.  Supposedly it is to monitor the
employees so they don't steal guests' belongings, or perhaps to see if
they
are working, taking a nap in the bed or taking a bubble bath.  It also
can
monitor guests in the bathroom or bed and elsewhere and provide
entertainment for the security staff.  Think about that one.

I once saw a poster that said "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't
mean
they aren't really out to get you."

Surveillance can be a curse or a blessing depending on your
perspective.

Have an interesting, safe and humorous day.

Anne
Records Analyst

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged,
confidential and covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521.

If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, distribute,
or reproduce this transmission.

If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
notify us immediately of the error by return email and please
delete the message from your system.

Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
http://www.rkmc.com