Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 13:23:14 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
> I am trying to find a topic for a paper for my Impact of Technologies
> class and thought what is near and dear to my heart, but of course the RIM
> profession. We have a great book on The Impact of Innovation, by Utterback,
> but it doesn't have anything related to RIM.
>
> Would anyone care to give me their synopsis of what the Impact of
> Innovations in Technology has had on the RIM Profession in their
> experiences; historically, politically or culturally.

 Not a synopsis, but a specific issue... failure to adequately preserve
information generated electronically and to develop and fund conversion and
migration processes for a sustainable, persistent "digital archive".
 Okay, so here's something we've been talking about since 1998 and doing a
little more about it recently, but the prospect of regaining access to
what's been lost along the way until then is rather bleak.
 This is a SERIOUS impact technology has had on the ability of the RIM
Profession to do it's job, and will continue to have an impact going forward
for the information generated electronically between the early 1980s and the
late 1990s. Insufficient attention was paid to the subject and insufficient
funding exists to keep it from becoming an issue as we go forward.
 www.scc.rutgers.edu/altek/preserve_04.pdf<http://www.scc.rutgers.edu/altek/preserve_04.pdf>
 http://www.shift.com/content/web/385/1.html
 http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/27/1043533997358.html?oneclick=true
 http://www.computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/981B051331D35D8BCC256ECC0008DC45