Sender:
From:
Helena Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 08:52:27 +1000
Patrick,

You have hit the nail on the head, what this new legislation prohibits
is "snooping" on employees. Here in NSW we have some fairly strict
legislation that prevents unauthorised monitoring of employees, but if
people are informed that their place of employment has cameras, or email
monitoring, or any other kind of surveillance it is perfectly fine.

This type of legislation does have issues.

I don't know if you are up to date on our drug smuggling airport
baggage handlers, but the state government is having to make legislative
changes to allow Qantas to install hidden security cameras to monitor
staff. For more info
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Bag-handlers-escaped-drug-net-at-airport/2005/05/12/1115843315597.html

Corrupt baggage handlers aside the legislation exists to protect
employees from unscroupulous employers, if employees are told about
surveillance their is no problem so this should not change the access
RM's have to email and other records.

This is my two cents worth for now on a cold and rainy Sydney morning

Helena Lovegrove

These are my opinions, not those of my employer or anyone else.