Sender:
From:
JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 14:20:21 -0600
Oops! Second part: why do we need it (ECM)?

Because traditionally we've had silos of information stovepiped across the
organization. Marketing has their repositories, operations, admin,
engineering...as many departments/divisions as there are in your
organization, there are at least that many data dumps sitting around (and
probably many more).

ECM brings together the silos from both a process and technology perspective
- as AIIM says, to capture, manage, store, preserve, and deliver information
where and how it is needed. So this includes everything from scanning, to
storage, to workflow and BPM, to records and document management, to digital
preservation and disposition.

Hope this helps - note also that many vendors and consultants have wildly
disparate ideas over what is and isn't included in the ECM space, and that
not all organizations need everything on the list. Again, feel free to
contact me on or offlist and I will be happy to provide additional
information.

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, EDP, ICP
IMERGE Consulting
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
http://www.imergeconsult.com
AIIM 2005 Conference Planning Team
AIIM International Board of Directors, 2004-2005
ARMA 2006 Program Committee