Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 17:23:28 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On 5/25/05, Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Did anybody else on the list attend the fios webcast on minimizing the
> costs of E-discovery?  If so what were your impressions of the session? In
> particular the role of RIM in the process  and the role of metadata in the
> hold process.  I could get them to answer the questions on-line.

I've been attending the FIOS webcasts for quite awhile now. I
generally find them to be very informative. That said I believe that
yesterday's webcast totally ignored the role of records management in
the process. I asked a specific question  (something like this) "Do
you see records management playing a role in the discovery process?"
The answer was not satisfactory since the attorney for ScheringPlough
said something like "Most companies don't have a centralized records
function. we did all our work through the records custodians
(generally what we call records coordinators)." I asked the question
because ScheringPlough has at least 5 employees who are members of
ARMA. So I wonder if this attorney is aware of these folks.

I don't think they were too knowledgeable about the role of metadata.
 But then again I get irritated everytime I hear an attorney start
talking about document retention instead of records retention. I found
it interesting that both attorneys said that when developing a
"document retention program that we make sure to cover all documents
as defined in FRCP 34" AND to look to the Sedona Guidelines for
advice.

overall the presentation had some good information in it. I highly
recommend these webcasts. to find out more got to
http://www.fiosinc.com

Peterk